Speed Booster ULTRA for E-Mount and X-mount cameras
Sharper corners, less distortion, reduced vignetting
New optical design: advanced 5-element/4-group optical design incorporating ultra-high index tantalum-based optical glass to achieve extraordinary optical performance with improved corner sharpness, distortion and reduced vignetting.
Like the revolutionary original Metabones Speed Booster announced in January 2013, the Speed Booster ULTRA has a magnification of 0.71x, and so it effectively reduces the crop factor of mirrorless cameras with DX-sized sensors, such as Sony E-mount and Fuji X-mount cameras, from 1.5x to 1.07x. However, the new ULTRA design makes very effective use of exotic materials at the furthest limit of glassmaking technology, and as a result is well corrected for use with virtually all fullframe SLR lenses regardless of exit pupil distance. Thus, the Speed Booster ULTRA performs extremely well with professional-grade f/2.8 zoom lenses such as the 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8 zooms by Canon and Nikon to produce 17-50mm f/2.0 and 50-142mm f/2.0 high-speed zooms, respectively. Similarly, high-speed fixed focal length lenses such as a 50mm f/1.2 will be transformed into a 35.5mm f/0.9 lens with excellent contrast and resolution from the center all the way to the edges of the image. (More information can be found in the press release here)
|Features and benefits
Tested Camera Bodies:
- A9, A7SII, A7RII, A7II, A7S, A7R, A7
- A6500, A6300, A6000, A5000
- PXW-FS7M2, PXW-FS5, PXW-FS7, NEX-FS700, NEX-FS100
- NEX-EA50, NEX-VG900, NEX-VG30, NEX-VG20, NEX-VG10
- NEX-7, NEX-6, NEX-5R, NEX-5N, NEX-5, NEX-C3, NEX-3
Lens compatibility chart
|Fast AF on all E-mount cameras (phase detection AF only with Sony A9)
|Tested by the community, thanks!
|Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L USM Fisheye*
Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM
Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L USM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 II
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM*
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM*
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM*
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM*
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM*
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM*
Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM
Canon EF Extender 1.4x III
Canon EF Extender 2x II
Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS Art
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM
Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 VC USD A012*
Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD A007
Tamron SP 45mm f/1.8 Di VC USD F013*
Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD A009*
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 VC USD A011*
|Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM
Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L USM
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM
Canon EF 35mm f/2L IS USM
Canon EF 35-350mm f/3.5-5.6L USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (Mark I)
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM (non-IS)
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM (Mark I)
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM
Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM (Mark I)
Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 (Ver I)
Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art
Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 OS HSM
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM
Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro
Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 OS HSM Contemporary
|Phase-detect AF on A9, A7RII, A7II, A6500 and A6300 only, unable to contrast-detect AF accurately if at all
|Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM
Canon EF 28-70mm f/3.5-4.5 II
Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM
Contax N Vario Sonnar 17-35mm f/2.8
Contax N Planar 50mm f/1.4
Contax N Vario Sonnar 70-200mm f/3.5-4.5
Contax N Planar 85mm f/1.4
|Manual focus only
Zeiss CP.2 25mm/T2.9
Zeiss CP.2 100mm/T2.1
Zeiss ZE Distagon 15/2.8
Zeiss ZE Distagon 21/2.8
Zeiss ZE Distagon 35/2
Zeiss ZE Makro-Planar 50/2
Zeiss ZE Makro-Planar 100/2
|Focus confirmation “chip” (e.g. Dandelion)
Tamron 28-300/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical [IF] MACRO A20 (note 6)
- Lenses marked with an asterisk support smooth iris.
- Sony NEX cameras cannot display aperture values beyond f/1.0. If a f/1.2 Canon EF lens is used with Speed Booster ULTRA the resulting aperture is f/0.9 but the camera body displays the original aperture f/1.2 to the camera body. i.e, lenses slower than f/1.4 report boosted aperture to camera body; lenses at or faster than f/1.4 report original aperture to camera body. (with firmware later than V0.38)
- Some improperly-made M42 screw mount adapters may short the electronic contacts of the Speed Booster ULTRA and cause damage to the Speed Booster ULTRA and/or camera body.
- Many manual focus lenses (e.g. OM 28/2.8, OM 50/1.8, Leica R 15/3.5) have rear protrusions (spikes, levers, other appendages) which would damage the optics and/or housing of Speed Booster ULTRA They need to be modified before they can be safely used on Speed Booster Check and make sure there are no rear protrusions from the adapter/lens combination before using on Speed Booster. Scratches and damages caused by rear protrusions on Speed Booster are not covered by warranty.
- This Speed Booster ULTRA is NOT fully compatible with full-frame Sony A7 series. When Speed Booster® ULTRA is used with Sony A7 series, the camera will turn on the “APS-C Size Capture” mode automatically.
- Unstable due to unusually high current requirement.
List of manual focus lenses which REQUIRE MODIFICATION to be used on Speed Booster ULTRA
Many manual focus lenses have rear protrusions (spikes, levers, other appendages) which would damage the optics and/or housing of Speed Booster ULTRA. They need to be modified before they can be safely used on Speed Booster ULTRA. Check and make sure there are no rear protrusions from the adapter/lens combination before using on Speed Booster ULTRA. Scratches and damages caused by rear protrusions or by poor quality adapters are not covered by warranty. The following is an incomplete list of lenses known to be incompatible.
Every Pentax K-mount lens has a protruding fin and an aperture lever. It does NOT fit.
EF-E Product Matrix
Note: your PayPal receipt is your order confirmation. There is no separate email confirmation until shipment takes place.
Since its inception, Metabones has been designing and manufacturing lens adapters recognized among professionals and enthusiasts as leaders in design and workmanship.
Contrary to the popular trend of other factories using an aluminum ring painted black on the camera-body-side, we instead take no short-cut but use precision-machined brass with chromium plating on both the camera-body and the lens sides of our adapters, in order to ensure smooth mounting, great appearance, and durability. The lens side of the adapter features a strong leaf-spring structure, strengthening the adapter-lens connection and ensuring tightness of the lens in order to reduce wear and prevent focus errors and optical alignment issues from appearing.
Metabones uses matte-black treatment to keep internal reflection to a minimum in order to maintain the maximum optical quality possible with the lens.
All Metabones Adapters follow this tradition of uncompromising precision, robust build quality and outstanding finish. Our new Smart AdapterTM series of products add industry-leading electronic interfacing technology from Canada, with true electronic control of the lens’ aperture directly from the camera body.
- Both camera-side and lens-side of the adapter are made of brass, precision-machined and plated with chromium.
- Satin surface finish – just like your OEM lens and camera mounts.
- Precise fit and solid connection – lens has no play, gap or wiggling when mounted on adapter and no adjustments are required to fit your lens.
- Designed to reach infinity focus while maintaining the correct registration distance required to maintain optical quality of CRC lenses or lenses with floating elements.
Our Smart AdapterTM series adapters have the following additional features
- True electronic integration of aperture diaphragm – let camera automatically choose aperture in P or S exposure modes, or dial in yourself on the camera body in A or M modes.
- EXIF data such as lens identification, focal length and aperture.